Wednesday, September 01, 2004

weight

and I don't mean mr. postman
I know that I'm not the only woman in the world for whom weight is an issue. It has been most of my life and will continue to be. I did great last year on Weight Watchers, lost 47 lbs and about 15 of those have crept back. Also, I was playing ice hockey twice a week and walking or running about 15 miles a week...funny thing..when I stopped doing those things and started eating crap, my ass got big. Now I don't mean to be crass, and on some people a little "junk in the trunk" looks just fine. But this girl don't walk in with an itty bitty waist and a round thing...well...you get the idea. My weight is settling in happily for the winter, and I have begun the eviction process. Notice has been served. It...of course...is filing an appeal, though unappealing it is. There's a new program at WW called the Core plan. I started a couple of days ago and am finding to my delight that I have a bit more energy and *feel* better...not that sluggy, gross, just ate a whole cow and turkey stuffing need a nap blechy feeling. The premise is your basic eat right, lots of veggies, fruits and limit your protein low or good carb thing. I know intellectually how to lose weight. I just really like food. a lot. With this program I can eat a lot of food, which may not be important to some, but is to me. I like to sit and eat an entire wonderful juicy red pepper and not feel badly about it. So now I can and on this core plan it's ok. Because of this burst of energy (ahem.) I walked today for the first time in waaaayyyy tooooo loonnnngg. I did my usual four mile loop and ran about 3/4 of a mile. I feel good and happy and as though I may live longer cause I purged bad things. (ok...probably not, but if it gets me off my big ass again tomorrow, count me in!) Besides....Rachel just knocks my socks off with her running and marathon training and I wanna be like her when I grow up. Ya know, cool.

In other excitement....I have just received my assignment for this school year...I am grateful and happy. About three years ago, I drew up a proposal to begin a culinary program at our school. It was accepted, but as I am not (yet) a certified teacher, someone else was hired. (Fortunately I love him dearly. He is a good person and a good friend.) I was able to be in a couple of the classes, but needed elsewhere as a special services TA, which I love, but as a chef wanted to be in the kitchen. This year they let me. I have two Culinary I and one Culinary II and I couldn't be more thrilled. For CI I will assist (22 students....yyyeeeehawwwww!) and for CII I will teach the baking sections. I cried when they told be and have been riding high ever since. The coolest thing is...my co-teacher is something of a phenom when it comes to pulling things together and has designed, proposed and had built a new culinary room....rather he had our old one refurbished. I will have a complete commercial kitchen in which to teach and work and play. A new convection oven, eight burner vulcan, 20 quart hobart, steam kettle....my knees are week. I will take pictures (we need to buy a new camera as the cost of getting ours fixed is equal to a new one) but promise to post in a few weeks.....all that, running and walking, an email from Steve's daughter letting us help, everyone's well and healthy....thank you thank you thank you thank you....I am counting my blessings and it's gonna take a while.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

I recently started back at WW, I am a lifetime member. Seems I have gained and lost the same 20 pounds for years now. I like their new program, however I am still doing the flex program. I love to snack so the flex program seems to work best for me. Anyway, good luck to both of us with our weight loss goals. I work at a hospital that is very wellness oriented, they are starting a 12 week fitness program that I am signing on to be a part of.
I am also a member at Curves which I really enjoy doing because I can be done in 30 minutes and I feel good after working out.
Seems after hitting 40 (I am also 44) the metabolism really spiraled down to nothing. It is really hard to lose weight and maintain that loss.
Good luck to all of us on a weight loss path and fitness plan.

September 27, 2004 at 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home